Runners know it… that point where continuing on seems impossible. When the muscles rebel, and vision gets distorted, the point that stopping feels inevitable.
That's where I am with the decluttering today. It seems hopeless, all this stuff just keeps coming in and smothering my efforts for a tidy home. AND CHRISTMAS IS COMING!
I'm praying that, like the runner's wall, if I just push a little further it will all come together in the euphoria called the "second wind".
Today's strategy is looking at a place in the house that isn't what I want and setting a 15 minute timer to see what can be done. After all, 15 minutes is not a huge investment. With a finite time, I should be able to press some urgency into the decisions and not sweat the small stuff.
DO I LOVE IT?
DO I USE IT?
DOES IT BELONG TO SOMEONE ELSE?
Once those questions are answered as quickly as possible, a quick sort is needed.
- Keep? if yes, where is it supposed to fit? if no… go to next option.
- Sell? if yes, do I have time to list it? if no… go to next option...
- Donate? put it in the box! Take the box to the trunk of the car for the next outing.
- Gift? for whom? ask the person if they want it right away. Set a time limit.
- Toss/recycle? Get it out now!