12.29.2011

Last Goal for 2011

Introducing the 2012 strategy for my decluttering mission.... I am going to set a goal per week and journal the experience and results.

Since there is only a couple days left for this year.... I have to make it simple.

Goal #1
Find a home for my new pressure cooker that has easy access for frequent use.

Background- I got a pressure cooker for a pre-Christmas present. A 5 quart pot of manageable size and easy operation for fast, tasty vegetables (the 5 times I have used it so far I have been delighted with the results)! BUT at present there is NO SPACE in my cupboards to house it.... it has been living on my stovetop, and though that is convenient, it's not practical.

Challenge- Decide which cupboard location would be best (thinking of the goal) clearing space out until it fits.... that may mean re-prioritizing what lives in the cupboard and/or finding new homes for those things. (The trickle down effect is that ALL my cupboards are quite full, so no matter what, 5 quarts of volume must be evicted from SOMEWHERE to make room).


______________________________

Verdict- SUCCESS!
 This challenge took 20 minutes from planning to completion. HOORAY!

Process- After deciding which cupboards would be acceptable for storing the pot, I narrowed it down to the most flexible cupboard close to the stove, and already housing the much loved slow cooker and griddle. Then I had to assess what could be moved from that space.  The tetra packs for lunches could go elsewhere..... I decided the best place to edit was my cookbooks place. There are a few well-referenced publications, but 90% of the time these days I go to my favourite cooking websites before searching my collection of cookbooks. In short, they have served their purpose and are no longer needed -- thank you very much -- a big stack are off to a new home, and the tetra packs take their place.

Phew, the results are good. Everything is away and outdated materials that I have been ignoring are removed. A true de-cluttering success.

No comments: