12.21.2011

Needs vs Wants & Gifts

When someone asks "What do you want for Christmas?" it is such a challenge for the budding minimalist!

"I have everything I need, really I do. I would be happy for your company". Is my response.

"But I asked you what you WANT not what you NEED?" 

THERE IS THE CHALLENGE

There are LOTS of things a fledgling minimalist may WANT, but in the back of our minds is the assurance that that want will actually be a burden later as most of the "stuff" inevitably becomes. So we have to disappoint and frustrate our family and friends with requests for empty stockings and boxes.

WHERE IS THE BALANCE?


Giving thoughtfully with minimalist experience gifts is relatively easy compared to asking for the same consideration from those that don't share the same ideals about "stuff".... it's lost in translation somehow. At least that is my experience.

------------------------------------

Meanwhile there are things leaving my home by the box full and every pound less makes me feel lighter...

No comments: